Saturday, December 7, 2013

Nothing's Impossible

Tis the season of hope, of dreams, of compassion, of thinking that things will be better for each of us in the future.  This year, I am seeing things a little differently for no specific reason, but just different.  Maybe it is because I have a senior in HS who will soon be leaving for college, with a sophomore in HS right behind him.  Maybe its the holiday lights, maybe I am just more aware of things this year than in years past.  

I had a conversation with a complete stranger over the phone the other day that gave me an epiphany of sorts.  While we working through some work related issues (she was working on a help desk in a contact center) we began small talking.  I found out the help desk was located in the same city as my beloved college Alma mater, Lawrence Kansas.  I mentioned to her that both my wife and I were alumni and that my oldest son had already been accepted there.  She mentioned to me that she and her husband had their first child who was now 2 years old.  We began talking about Thanksgiving and the holiday season in general.  Then it happened!

We spoke about how my boys had progressed to the age where they understood about Santa and weren't as impressed with all of the lights as they used to be.  She stated that her son was in complete awe of all of the lights and joy of this time of year.  We talked a little more but I had the greatest parenting/leadership lesson I have ever received.  When her son goes somewhere, his innocence and trust is placed with his parents that they will introduce him to positive new experiences.  It's like seeing the warm feelings that come over people the first time they see all the candles on a menorah lit up, or when a trail of lights is seen for the first time, a child is in awe.  As a parent, we often forget that life sometimes has jaded us, and we take for granted life's little experiences.  Our kids lives are full of firsts on a daily basis, especially when they are young.

As a leader, we often find ourselves making decisions but forgetting about the development aspect of a decision.  Critical thinking and evaluation lead to confident, well thought out decisions.  The most critical aspect of thinking and evaluation is experience and the outcomes of past decisions.  Just like a child seeing a holiday light for the first time or receiving a surprise gift, our teams are filled with the same awe when they see the results of their hard work.

For whatever reason, this year is a special year for me personally and professionally.  I have seen my children grow into solid young men; I have seen the team I lead more than double our customer base and become significantly more efficient; I have seen every team member extend and develop in some way.  It has been fun to be able to sit back and watch others talk about what has been developed with appreciation and allow each team member to celebrate their individual accomplishments.

It is easy for us to see how success and failure through our own lenses.  It is far more rewarding to see life through someone else's eyes though.  Be the encourager, the guide, the resource for others and remember it's not all about you.  This is easy to say, harder to do.  If you make the effort everyone wins!

Have a great week and an even better holiday season!

14 comments:

  1. What a great year you have had. Well deserved I think :)
    My son is still in that awe stage. I really hope he doesn't lose that too quickly. I have to admit when it comes to this time of year, I still see it through a kids eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gave me a warm and fuzzy, Mark. What a year you've had....and more than that, what a year the people you have touched have had! It just doesn't get any better than that! Best to you................

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I look at my children and clearly understand that they know the truth about Father Christmas or Père Noël, but keep their secret for us, their parents. They know everything from the beginning. And they are happy about it, I think...and me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely said, Mark. Nothing's impossible - the impossible only takes longer:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son's at the in-between stage. I'm not sure if he still believes in Santa since he hasn't talked about him to me in a few years. All he wans to know about are the presents LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark; I followed you over here from a comment you left on one of my posts. And man am i glad I did. the pure joy and wonder that i feel coming through your post has reminded me of the christmas season. It has made me think of some of those wonderful christmas mornings back when my whole family gathered at my grandmother's house on christmas eve to open gifts together. and it reminded me that if we will make it more about our friends family teammates coworkers clients than it is about ourselves we will get that rare chance to bask in the glow that comes from seeing others excel and grow. thanks for the post and you have a great holiday season too, max

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made me smile. My kids are grown and grown with kids of their own and learning all the lessons we learn when we are parents. Life is a set of mixed blessing. It how we choose to see these lessons/blessing that make us happy or otherwise.

    What an awesome year you've had. I expect next year will be even more interesting and better yet for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. I'm glad you're having a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great you've had such a wonderful year. Here's to making our efforts count!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that having children allows you to see things for the first time again.

    Great last paragraph! Couldn't agree more :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is so perfect! It sounds like your year has been full of not just successes but awareness. It seems like you were fully connected to the experiences mentally. Many people can't say that they are not spiritually connected to that particular moment. It just kind of passes them by so there is no real appreciation for that moment. This was a great post thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the reminder that nothing is impossible! I have an 8 and a 6 year old, and it's amazing to see how differently they interpret things. They even have completely different opinions on Santa! I am constantly learning from them, and having to remind myself to take a minute and see the world through their eyes. Sounds like your sons are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In following the Sedona Method, I learned how at such an early age we go from a feeling of connectedness to a feeling of separation - from the whole. It's at an early age actually, when we first learn our name. As I read your post I couldn't help but think that even with this feeling of separateness, children interpret life through a cleaner lens.

    Congratulations on a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can understand why this year has been so great for you. I remember the post where you had a photo of your two sons on the beach. Things don't just happen. You are and wife have done a great job. Mark. and yes you have had a great year , but this is only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete