What are some things that you can do to better control your situation?
- Make your FT job, finding your next opportunity
- Network, network, network
- Get out of the house
- Don't get into lazy habits - watching TV, playing video games
- Update your resume, but also have others provide you feedback on your resume
- If you are on LinkedIn, get recommendations
- Practice writing cover letters, you are going to need to do this a lot!
- Define what you want to do for your next opportunity
- Look outside of your neighborhood - Sometimes the best fit may not be around the corner
- Update your skills through education, webinars, free or low cost conferences, etc.
- Schedule non-job search related activities
The most important one of this list for me is the last one. The job search can be very overwhelming, and since this is now a FT job, you need to separate from the job to maintain that work-life balance.
It's important to not allow your situation control you, but rather you control your situation! That new opportunity may arrive very quickly, or it could take weeks or months. Stay positive, stay connected and know you do have value and skills.
What are some suggestions that you may have to assist others? Please comment so others can share in your experiences as well!