Saturday, December 21, 2013

Do you have Friends who provide you Benefits?


The title is not meant in the "sexual way", but more in how we look at our trusting relationships with others when we enter new environments.

I remember the Doctor Seuss book, Oh, The Places You'll Go!  I received the book as a graduation gift from High School (no it was not an original issue, I'm not that old…).  When you watch the above clip from the movie Friends with Benefits, there is a correlation between the two.

Dr. Seuss encourages the reader to go out and explore and experience new experiences.  In the movie, Justin Timberlake's character has to make a decision to start his life over in new surroundings, or stay with the what is most comfortable for him.  Those decisions are never easy…

We make decisions on a daily basis, some of which may require us to change a job, location, surroundings, etc.  It's important though, when you make a change, no matter how large or small, that you have a proper support system.  Those who you can rely upon for unfiltered advice and those who truly have your best interests in mind.

In the workplace you need to determine who your formal and informal mentors are.  Remember, they don't all need to do the same job you do.  Sometimes being buried in the weeds, will lead to unforeseen results.  Establish a network outside of your workplace that you can bounce thoughts and ideas.

Take chances and remember that everyplace we go can be awfully lonely if we allow it to be so.  Take a chance, make a change if you need to, and don't look back!  It is cool to be part of something that is bigger than yourself and have fun doing it.  You never know who you will impact in the process!

Have a great week!!

8 comments:

  1. I so agree. That first leap can b awfully scary but exhilarating once you're in motion. Having the support of others at that time makes it all the important these friends become you cheerleaders as we go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, having true friends that you can rely on is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it from me, the older one gets the harder this is to accomplish! I took a huge leap by moving to South Carolina last year but the rewards have been wonderful, in terms of my writing! Still, I couldn't have done it without the support of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL about your title explanation! I wasn't even thinking that. But then it got me thinking about that Beatles song, Get By With a Little Help from My Friends. Controversial still I think.

    Most of us are comfortable even with the uncomfortable and so to take that leap, it does often take some outside person or unexpected circumstance as a kick in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all about expanding my comfort zone and experiencing new things. That's what life is about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have relocated numerous times by choice over the past several years. On a few occasions, I relocated to places where I did not have a support system in place prior to my arrival. In fact, I didn't know anyone. By attending local events though, found through meetup.com, I have usually been able to make friends and acquaintances with similar interests as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many Baby Boomers are going through new passages. We don't even have to seek them out, they just happen. Empty nesting. Elderly infirm parents. Retirement. We even invented a name for what you advocate, "Reinvention". I re-invented myself as a travel blogger in March of 2012. (I'm also still a recovering lawyer). After becoming a self-declared travel blogger, I allowed myself to seek out others in that world. For the most part, I have found them to be generous and supportive community. Initially, I did all my reaching out virtually---online, but in the past year I've taken some steps out of what I thought was my comfort zone and have met some of them in person. As a person of a certain age, somewhat to my surprise, I am enjoying enlarging, rather than shrinking my world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Mark and so very true. Our friends are often the people that not just support us through change, but they are often the reason change is possible.

    ReplyDelete